Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

How do we coax a kitten out of a corner far under or deck

We have a stray small kitten mewing under our deck. It won't come out, but "cries" every time we play a mewing sound from my daughter's toy. How can we get it out? It is supposed to be freezing tonight and we are concerned for its safety.

do you have any idea how old it is or what condition it is in.

Have you seen it or just heard it?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Very young kitten hand-size and we have seen it

is it able to come out?
have you seen it walk?
have you been feeding it?

is there any mother cat or other kittens?

about how far back is it?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: it has walked towards the milk and goldfish crackers we left for it, but hasn't taken them    we can't see any others and it is about 20 feet back

Dear friend,

The baby may want to come out but be unable to or just be too scared. Put canned cat food in a shallow dish and then put the dish in a low box or tray which you have a string attached. When he goes in and starts eating - very, very slowly pull the box out with him in it. Have a towel ready you can throw over him because a scared kitten can run like lightening and you do not want him to run back under there.Keep the meowing toy out there to attract and distract him from what you are up to.

Please let me know what is happening. I will stand by to hear from you.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: It won't take the food. It gets close then walks back
do you have a cat carrier or a box?
Can you see him from a window?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: no we do not have a cat carrier or box and cannot see it from a window--it's far under our deck.

Dear friend,

He is not coming out because his mother has taught him to fear humans and stay back. See if you can attach a string to the food and keep pulling it forward because no matter how scared he is - hunger will eventually take over and win out and he WILL eventually go for that food. If he absolutely refuses to come out tonight, you must leave food and water under the deck. At least he will be warm from the calories and have shelter under the deck. You can work with him every day and soon he will learn to trust you. There are also safe traps tha any rescue wil loan you so you can trap him in the future. However, keep tryin gtonight because he REALLY wants the food so maybe there is a chance he will weaken and go for it.

Please let me know what is happening.I will be here till 11.00 eastern time.

Sincerest best wishes,

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Thank you for your help and time. We will try our best and let you know.

PLEASE let me know - I really care.

God bless you for trying to help this sweet baby.