Tammy
Tammy, Consultant
Experience:  Animal Care giver 30+ years (Horses, Cats, Dogs, Hamsters)

Why is my cat licking cement floors, stone and concrete

My cat was diagnosed with food allergy and was getting prescription food. After some time she refused to eat this and now eats other non prescription cat food.

She gets 1/2 tablet 5 mg Prednisolone every other day.

She drinks a lot of water and licks the mortar and stone surface of the building when she is outside and also a cement floor. She does this more and more frequently. She also seems to have lost weight.

I believe she is lacking something in her body that she gets by licking this. Could this be the case? What other explanation?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for sending your question to Just Answer!

You are correct! Your cat is licking the concrete for minerals that she is lacking in her body for possible anemia, inlcuding calcium and others that you will read at these sites.

Tanya's Feline CRF Information/index of symptoms and treatments Tanya and Thomas: My Two CRF Cats ... If your cat has a weakness in one function, you may well see other ... Licking concrete ? Calcium imbalances ? 4 ... www.felinecrf.org/symptoms_treatments_index.htm

Fighting FeLV [Note: FeLV+ cats, especially if they are anemic, may develop odd cravings and lick concrete or litter. If they consume a lot of clumping clay litter it ... www.bright.net/~zimm1/FightingFeLV/

Tanya's UK Feline Chronic Renal Failure/symptoms Eating Litter/Licking Concrete. This is known as pica. Many vets are not aware of this symptom in relation to CRF-induced anaemia, but if a CRF cat suddenly ... www.felinecrf.org/symptoms.htm

I hope this helps. If you need further information, please feel free to contact me.

***If this answer was helpful, please go ahead and click ACCEPT so that I may receive credit for answering your question. A BONUS is always welcome too. Thank you, Tammy****

Tammy, Consultant
Experience: Animal Care giver 30+ years (Horses, Cats, Dogs, Hamsters)