Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

What does a cat do when ready to die I had a calico cat ...

Customer Question

What does a cat do when ready to die? I had a calico cat for 12 1/2 years that has been acting different lately, and now she is gone. She was an indoor cat, and only went out on the back deck about 4 feet around the bottom,and she didn't return. She has always been skittish and would only stay out aoubt 20 min. How do they act when they know they are going to die. Is it possible she left to find a seculded quiet spot to die?
Thank you for any hlep.
May Hobbs
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

Hi May-

Cats don't really go off to 'die'. If they don't feel well, they don't want to associate with anyone, so they will go somewhere that they will be left alone. The problem is, that you can't treat them if you don't know where they are and if they are ill enough, they will pass away. Expand your search to look in any secluded areas around the house and get her into the vet when you find her. I'll say some extra prayers for you that she'll turn up soon!