Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

Is clary sage poisonous to cats if they eat it

my cat ate clary sage used for smudging rituals.

Do you know how much s/he ingested and how long ago did this happen?

Do you see any vomiting, diarrhea or abnormal behavior in your cat now?

Was the clary sage in the form of an essential oil?

"You should never use essential oils on or around your cat. A cat's system cannot effectively excrete essential oils and they can build up to toxic levels creating major heath problems."

If your cat licked only a little bit, s/he should probably be alright, but you should definitely contact your vet or call The Animal Poison Hotline(NNN) NNN-NNNNto be sure. They're open 24/7 and there is a fee for the phone call.

You can feed your cat some milk to neutralize the effect of the oil for the timebeing.

Good luck, I hope your cat will be alright!

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Jessesmom's Post: It was about 11 am this morning. It was in dried leaf form and she only chewed a very small piece, before I could take the smudging shell it was in, off the shelf she climbed to reach it~ she vomited some treats she had recently eaten, but has been okay since.

If she chewed only a very small piece, has vomited once, and is acting normally since then, she should be okay. The only toxicity warning/information I could find is: "Sage - Avoid using this herb if your pet is undergoing hypoglycemic (low blood sugar) treatment."

Clary sage (or sage) is not on the 'plants toxic to cats' list, nor is it on the 'non-toxic plants to cats' list. I know it's an herb, but thought it would be included, if toxic.

I guess the 'curious feline' myth was proven at your house today, and I'm sure you won't be leaving anything around which may peak her interest again!   : )

If she should vomit, drool, have diarrhea, trouble swallowing, seem disoriented, start shaking, seem wobbly on her feet, have non-light-reactive dilated pupils, or have trouble breathing, take her to a vet ER center immediately.

I think she should be fine!