Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years owning a dog and cat veterinary practice. President of an animal emergency clinic

My cat was diagnosed with an abdominal ultrasound and they ...

Customer Question

My cat was diagnosed with an abdominal ultrasound and they reported a focal intestinal mass with local inflammatory tissue and scant ascites can you give me a heads up on this
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 10 years ago.
Focal means very localized. If there is inflammatory tissue surrounding the mass, then there is swelling in the intestine. If there is scant ascites, then there is a vert small amount of free fluid in the abdomen. THis could be some type of mass that is in the intestines that is causing protein to leak into the abdominal cavity. This may be significant if the cat is sick or just an incidental finding if the cat is otherwise normal. Of course an exploratory abdominal surgery may be needed to actually remove the mass to see exactly what it might be.