Don
Don, Catman
Experience:  Here to help my cat owner friends,intense research when needed!
1126735

how to keep cats out of the garbage

Customer Question

what can you spray on the garbage to keep cats and other animals from tearing it apart
Category: Cat
Expert:  Don replied 10 years ago.

Hello friend, Thankyou for your question.

To keep animals from the garbage it can be very important to put nothing in the garbage that they can smell such as meat,raw or cooked,cheese,etc.This draws them.

If you have NO other place to dispose of such then you will want to get an aluminum garbage can and use a "bungee cord" across the top,from handle to handle ,so that they cannot access the inner goodies. You can also put bricks or heavy rocks on top of the can if you have racoons especially.

If you have a regular garbage pickup then it's going to mean you must dump this can into the regular plastic container on garbage day .

In some situations there is access to a dumpster ( I have permission to use one at a place I work part time at) and that helps alot.

Other than this you can do the following:

1. Turn in the cats/dogs that run wild.

2. Use something such as CAYENNE pepper which is said to do the job.

Here is more information on ways to keep wildlife out :Wildlife - Animal Welfare League of Arlington

If you need more information please let me know.

Sincerely,Don