Dr. Louis Gotthelf
Dr. Louis Gotthelf, Veterinarian
Experience:  35 years owning a dog and cat veterinary practice. President of an animal emergency clinic
1348006

My cats mouth is swollen on one side.

My cat's mouth is swollen on one side. It's hard to to the touch and also swollen inside.
Category: Cat
Expert:  replied 10 years ago.
Any time there is a problem in a cat's mouth, it can be serious. Cats can swallow things and they get stuck, they get in fights and get abscesses and they can get enlargments of the lymph nodes in the neck. So my best advice to you is to take the cat to the vet and let them sedate the cat so that they can examine the mouth to see why the swelling is there.

If it is painful for you to open its mouth, it is also painful for the cat to eat. Cats do not do very well when they are not eating.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: IT's on the side of his mouth where they rub up against everything. He is not an outside cat. He stays indoors.
Expert:  Dr. Louis Gotthelf replied 10 years ago.
Is it just on the lip?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: yes
When the lips are swollen, this could be a sign of a condition called an eosinophilic granuloma. This is an allergic swelling that enlarges the lip and often causes something called a rodent ulcer. Check with your vet. The treatment is usually a shot of a steroid called Depo-Medrol.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to dr4pets's Post: I've heard steroid shots can cause the cat to become diabetic. One of our other cats received several steroid shots and is now diabetic. Is there any other treatment?
Expert:  replied 10 years ago.
I often use laser to debulk the mass, but you need to have it diagnosed first. Some vets are using Atopica (cyclosporine) to treat this condition.