Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cats stool is very dry, even right after BM.

My cat's stool is very dry, (almost hard as a rock) even right after BM. I've also noticed that she is very particular about drinking water. You'd think if she's dehydrated that she would crave water. Any idea about what is going on? I've wondered if she has a bladder infection because she urinates on the rug in the bathroom near her liter. I want to avoid a $75 urine test because funds are tight.

Do you have any nutritional suggestions or insights as to what is going on?

how old is she?
does she eat only dry food?

how long are her stools like this?
do you have cows milk?

Dear friend,

You can give her cows milk as most cats are lactose intolerant and it will soften her stool. Discontinue all dry food and feed her canned only. You can add a half teaspoon of mineral oil three times a week. You can also give her a teasoon every day or plain yogurt to keep "good" bacteria in her system. If she is prone to UTI's, give her one drop of unsweetened (only) cranberry juice every day as that will make her bladder inhospitable to UTI bacteria.

Most dry stools are caused by inadequate fluid in the bowel so you want to get as much fluid as possible into your girl. That will prevent UTI's as well.

Please let me know how she is and if you still have questions. I will be happy to help in any way possible.

Very sincerely,

Terri

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: 2 years old
Yes, mostly dry food

It has progressively been getting this way. They have been more firm for over a month, but not as dry until recently. I can't explain exactly, she is being watched by a friend.

I don't drink, nor feed her cow's milk.