Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

My cat has been throwing up for three days in a row. The ...

Customer Question

My cat has been throwing up for three days in a row. The first day it was a hairball, but the other two it wasn't. Should I be worried? Is there something else I should do? She gets soft food in the morning and hairball food is out all the time.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
Is she able to keep any food or water down, or does she throw up everything she takes in?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: She eats and drinks as normal, but in the afternoon after she has been sleeping for a few hours she vomits and lays around more than usual.
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
One last set of questions - how old is she? and what brand of food do you feed?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: She is 6 and for soft food she gets iams and normal food is science diet. Thank you.
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
Thanx so much. Right now, I don't think I would worry too much. Cats are a species that tend to vomit for little or no reason and trying to figure out what the problem is may makes things worse by stressing her out going to the vet even if it's nothing. If the vomiting increases or she seems to not be doing well in general, then it may be time to regroup and rethink things. You might try adding a little canned food to her diet to see if that helps, along with a tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) in the canned food every day. This will help prevent hairballs and keep her stool normal and basically help with her overall good health.