Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

what happens if my cat swallows a rubber-band

Customer Question

My cat swallowed a rubber-band!!!!!! I want to know if he'll be okay, or if I should take him to the Vet!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
He'll probably pass the rubber band with no problem. You need to keep an eye on him for the next 3 or 4 days. If he stops eating or starts having problems using the litter box, take him into the vet immediately. If he starts hiding, drooling or drinking alot, take him in. Keep an eye on the litterbox and see if you can see when he passes it. It shouldn't be a problem, but you do need to know what to look for. If he does start to pass it but it gets stuck and he is unable to pass it completely, don't try to pull it out yourself. It could be wrapped around a portion of the bowel, and you could injure him severely by trying to 'help'. You would need to take him into the vet if that scenario happens also. Please let me know if I can assist further!