S. August Abbott, CAS
S. August Abbott, CAS, Own Animal Care/Rescue Org.
Experience:  Up to 300 cats saved each year; Animal Care author; Behavior & Nutrition Consults

Are Ficus trees poisonous to cats

Customer Question

my cat seems to have a really bad cold deep in his chest, and i have noticed that he has been chewing on my ficus tree leaves, i want to know if the tree is harmful to cats, and if this is causing his infection.
Category: Cat
Expert:  S. August Abbott, CAS replied 10 years ago.

There are several types of ficus; none of them would be recommended for ingestion by a cat, and are potentially poisonous. You would need to watch for side effects of drooling, loss of balance, lethargy/depression, pain, problems using the litter box or anything else that you sense is 'off' .

Again, the level of concern would depend on the type of ficus and even which part the cat ate (as well as how much).

When in any doubt - a vet visit wins out!

For a list of poisonous plants (offered thru UC Davis) go here