Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience

My cat has itchy skin, no fleas. I use Frontline ...

My cat has itchy skin, no fleas. I use Frontline every month. She is biting and scratching until she has bare spots. She is not scaly, such as dandruff.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 10 years ago.

Cats who bite and scratch so vigorously and who don't have fleas, can do so as a reaction to stress, allergies, contact dermatitis, or a fungal condition such as ringworm. There are various feline dermatological conditions which can cause itchy skin (fleas excluded). You say her skin is not scaly, like dandruff, but do you see any red patchy areas when you part her fur, or at the s sites she's scratching? Please see the following for more information:

Even though she's on Frontline, monthly, have you ever treated your home for fleas? Where is she scratching and where are the bare spots?

I would suggest you bring your cat to the vet to find the cause of the scratching and then receive the proper medication. The vet will most likely give her an injection of a steroid like Prednisone and/or antihistamine to alleviate the itching and, based on the diagnosis, provide further support and treatment.

If the scratching is found to be stress related, Feliway may help. For more information on this synthetic feline pheremone product, please see:

I hope the problem is resolved after you get a diagnosis from the vet and she's feeling less uncomfortable very soon!

Cher : )