Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

My cats lower eyelid is swollen. I first noticed this

Customer Question

My cat's lower eyelid is swollen. I first noticed this several days ago and it cleared up, today ot is swollen again and he is closing his eye a little. What could this be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
Does it appear to be injured - is there anything IN the eye that you can see or any injury around the lower lid on the outside?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: There doesn't appear to be an injury or anything in the eye. Could it be related to the recent heatwave in NYC?
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

I wouldn't think the eye would swell because of the heat. It would be far more likely that your cat was bitten or stung by something or it could be caused by the poor air quality - which is, I suppose you could say, a product of the horribly hot weather we're having everywhere right now. If it continues, you might want to put cool compresses on it to see if that helps bring the swelling down and take him to the vet to have it looked at. Anytime the eyes are involved, I personally feel having the vet check things out is prudent since vision is so important and fragile.

Please let me know if I can help further.