Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is swallowing very hard. Almost like agulp. What ...

My cat is swallowing very hard. Almost like agulp. What could be wrong?
How old is he?
Look in his mouth and see if anything is stuck there or any bad teeth.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: she is almost two, no bad teeth...nothing stuck...she can breathe and she's trying to eat, but her swallowing is really hard...she was throwing up earlier today

What did she eat last? - just before she threw up.

Did she eat since she threw up?
Does she go outdoors?

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: she eats fancy feast hard food...she threw up this morning, she has ate since then...she stays inside

Dear friend,

Please stand by for a few minutes while I type detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Dear friend,

Your cats actions indicate that she has somethingh stuck in her stomach that she is trying to move. It can be a hairball thread, string, a twist tie, piece of toy or plant, etc.

If you have hairball remedy like laxatone, petromalt, or even plain vaseline put a one inch strip on her paw so she will lick it off. Give her either canned cat food, cottage cheese, tuna or milk - something squishy to try to push it through.

If she cannot pass it and this continues you will have to see a vet with her and get an xray so you can see what is going on with her.

Please get back to me and tell me if you are having any success with the above foods. I wil stand by to hear from you.

Very sincerely,

Terri