Vet help
Vet help, Veterinarian
Experience:  9 years experience as small animal vet, 19 years experience in the animal care field
883989

why is my cat moaning and making weird sounds

Customer Question

No Comment Added
Category: Cat
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer. The other experts and I are working on your answer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-Is your cat male or female?
-Spayed or neutered?
-How old is your cat?
-Can you describe exactly what your cat is doing?
Any vomiting, diarrhea?
-How long has the problem been going on?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to RGK's Post: HELLO my cat is a male he is not fix and he is a year old.HE SEES OTHER CATS in the window and he starts to moan and cry alot
Expert:  Vet help replied 8 years ago.
This is very common behavior for an intact male cat. It stems in part from his frustration at not being able to get outside to those other cats. Cats are very territorial and his sound effects are a way of trying to tell the intruders that this is his turf and they need to go away. In addition, if some of those outside cats are females- yes, he can tell- then he is trying to get their attention and is frustrated that he can't get outside to meet them. I would be very surprised if he wasn't also spraying inside the house. Cats spray to mark their territory with urine so that other animals know where the boundaries are. They do this by backing up to a vertical surface, lifting their tail straight into the air, and spraying small amounts of urine against it. You may be noticing more urine smell of late, or seeing unexplained wet spots.
The best thing you could do for your cat is to have him neutered. This will eliminate at least part of the problem- the girls won't be driving him crazy anymore. In addition, the strong urine odor that he has (common to all tomcats) will eventually abate and his litter won't be so stinky anymore. He will still have a tendency to be territorial but this will decrease a bit as well, so the spraying may stop, too. However, spraying also has a behavioral, learned component to it as well. So the longer you wait to have him neutered, the greater the chance that the urine spraying will become a permanent problem. In the meantime, try to limit his access to windows from which he can see the outside cats. Place rubber mats with the knubby side up or aluminum foil on the window sills to discourage his jumping up there. Keep the shades drawn in those areas of the house from where he most commonly sees the interlopers outside.
Hope this was helpful.