Dr. Lisa
Dr. Lisa, DVM (Veterinarian)
Experience:  Doctor of Veterinary Medicine, Integrative Medicine (Western and Homeopathic)
1615593

My cats third eye lid is swollen. What is the problem

Customer Question

My cat's third eyelid is swollen, is this the sign of a serious problem? She seems fine all around, otherwise....no problems moving around, eating, etc.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 10 years ago.

I share your concern for your cat. Is your cat squinting? Is there any discharge in the eye?

Swelling in the area of the 3rd eyelid can be due to a foreign body stuck behind the eyelid, an eyelid mass or infection.

If your cat is squinting or the eye is less open than the other one, you need to have your vet check to see if there is a foreign body stuck behind the eyelid.

I consider eyes to be of an urgent nature. I would highly recommend a visit to your vet tomorrow, before the weekend. It is likely not too serious, but even if it is an infection, it can become serious if left untreated.

Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Lisa Boyer's Post: Thanks for your info. I will take her to the vet. There has not been any discharge at all, and she does not seem to have any problems getting around at all.
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 10 years ago.

OK, since there is no discharge that's a good sign. I'm glad you'll take her to get checked. Eyes are not something I ever tell clients to wait on. It can wait until morning, but definitely have it checked before the weekend.

Good luck!

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Dr. Lisa Boyer's Post: How much should this cost to treat, if it is just a simple infection?
Expert:  Dr. Lisa replied 10 years ago.

An office call is around $35 + about $15 for meds.