NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care

How do I stop cats eating the fish in my pond

Customer Question

We have a newly installed pond which stirs the interest of local cats. We mainly shoo them away, but one morning we came down and found two headless dead fish on the lawn. How can I deter their interest. Are there any plants available that I can place near the pond that will deter tham?
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 10 years ago.
You could try a scarecrow that shoots water at movement. They work pretty well against cats.
And may also work if its other predators catching your fish.
So far gardeners really have not found any plants that deter cats. But there are sprays that might help and many pet supply and garden stores carry them.
You could also try a mesh over the pond that wouldn't keep the fish from coming up to feed but would keep the cats from hooking the fish out of the water. If the mesh was just under the water it shouldn't disturb your view of the pond.
Hope this helps you!