Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

feline bowel issues

My cat was 4 when I got him declawed in January this year. Every since he has had ongoing bowel issues. We have went from very soft stools to very hard stools and some days a combination of both. We finally seemed to have fixed the diareah problem, he was given a steroid shot, antibiotics and anti-diareahal medicine for one month (the medicines worked short term the first time we tried but the problem came back within days) so we gave him the steroid and extended the use of the medications, which ended about 3-4 months ago. Since then the stools are always hard and normally small, looks like larger rabbit stools, and he seems to go all over the house. This has been ongoing non-stop for months. The vet can find nothing medically wrong with him and we continued to guess it was stress related. I've been looking online for help and have noticed feline fecal incontinence. Is this treatable??? He has absolutely no problems urinatiing in the litter box and the stools are never in the same spot, they seem to just fall wherever he may be...and sometimes it's next to his bed or close to his food, which I find very bizzare for a cat, since they are normally so clean.
my question is, would the anthesia cause this type of side affect for this long? and is this fixable?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 8 years ago.
What food do you feed him? Does he any canned or is he strictly a dry food eater?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: he is strictly on dry food. Cat Chow. I even minimize treats and cat nip to avoid the return of the diareah (since that took a few months to finally get rid of). We had done blood work, stool checks and a couple of test's that I don't recall off hand, and nothing was noticed on anything. He is in very good spirits and I don't punish him for his "accidents" I just clean it up and sometimes if it's fresh I put it in the litter box and show him, but he doesn't seem to even notice the smell of poop, which he used to always want to cover anything that smelled. Sometimes I wonder if he has even lost some of his senses.
Expert:  Lori replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like you are doing everything right. I can make a couple of suggestions to see if they help. Actually, you may not realize it, but "hard stool" is easier to deal with than "soft"...this is what I would do....very simple and you should see definite results in a week or less. You don't say if he's long or short haired, but I wonder if he is long haired if part of this could be attributed to the stool sticking to his coat and falling off randomly as he meanders through the house. I would clip his hind end and leg britches very short in the back to see if that helps with the 'scattering' if he is long haired. To achieve a better consistent consistency in his stool, I would start giving him about 1 tablespoon of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling) every day - even 2 tablespoons would be fine. I would add it to a very tiny amount of a 'treat', such as jarred Gerber Baby Meat, or 1/4 of a can of canned catfood, or a bite or 2 of tuna. The extra moisture from the food will help and the pumpkin is an excellent source of fiber which will also help. If your boy truly has fecal incontenance, there aren't many options available that are workable with cats. Unfortunately, there is also very little written or attention given to fecal incontinence in cats, because there are no 'proven' treatments unless there is a physical reason such as a tumor or spinal problem causing it, in which case your vet may have to perform a surgical procedure to correct it. There are some theories that state constipation can cause a 'false' incontinence issue as the cat is looking for alternate places to deficate due to the discomfort she feels in the litter box when she attempts to go. Dropping the stool as she walks is really unconcious on her part as she is looking for an alternate spot to have a bowel movement. If we can get her stool to a normal consistency with the pumpkin, this may eliminate the other issue all together. Please let me know if I can help further!
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience: 16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments