Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

Why does my cat will sniff my arm or hand and then take a bite.

No Comment Added
How old is your kitty? How long has this been going on? Is your cat male or female? Spayed or neutered?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: Let's see, he's about 7 - 71/2 years old and this has been going on for more than 5 years. Male cat and is neutered.
Thank you for the additional information! I was thinking this was a kitten, so obviously I was way off base on that! Is the biting an "agressive" bite or more of an attention getting 'nip'? Does he do it when you are petting him or does it happen just out of the blue for no apparent reason when you aren't even touching him?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Lori's Post: his biting doesn't draw blood or anything like that. It happens when I'm petting him, he will sniff the area maybe lick it a little bit and then take a nip. He's an orange tabby.
Some cats act this way to over stimulation. Although to you, you are simply petting him, to them it can feel exessively good, or sometimes uncomfortable, and they will do this as somewhat of an 'iinvoluntary' reaction to the stimulation of put it in terms that humans can relate to, it's almost as if you have a sore muscle and someone is massaging it to get the 'kink' out of it, and you pull away even though what you are feeling isn't totally uncomfortable. It's a bit difficult to explain, but hopefully, that makes some sense. Notice when you are doing it, if there is a particular spot you hit that seems to 'trigger' the reaction. If there is, just try to avoid that spot when you are petting him. Let me know if I can help further or explain it better.