Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

My cat sounds very congested when breathing. He has no ...

My cat sounds very congested when breathing. He has no other symptems. He is about 9 weeks old and has had no shots. We rescued him at around 4 weeks. He was sneezing occasionally since we found him. He is very active and eats 3 times a day. He makes alot of noise mostly when he wakes up. I noticed the problem after we boarded him for a weekend and after he recieved his first worm pill. Does he just have a cold or is it something worse? Thanks if you can help. We have a vet but I don't think he is very good as far as cats go.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

He may have a nasal polyp which will cause the noisy breathing. He should be starting his routine vaccinations now, so you might ask the vet about the breathing problem when you take him in for his initial shots. Polyps are usually easily removed with an instrument they simply snip them off after anesthetising the kitten lightly. If you wait another week or 2 your vet can probably take care of the problem and neuter your kitten at the same time. If it is a long standing upper respiratory issue, he will need to be cleared up before they can do vaccinations. A round of amoxicillin or clavamox can probably take care of it if a polyp is not the problem.

Please let me know if I can help further. You might also check your local phone book to see if there are any feline practioners in your area. Cats are ALL they deal with and are used to seeing unusual things that other vets are not, and they are usually no more expensive than a regular small animal vet.