Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

Cat with Hanging Belly Skin

I have a domestic short-hair cat named Grace. She is roughly a year and a half old. She was spayed at about 6 months of age. She has always been a very active cat with a lean body type. However, about 5 months ago, I noticed that her belly skin began to hang down, close to the ground. It looks and feels like extra skin that is drooping down. She has remained very active - but she looks like a cat that has a few litters of kittens! When I touch her hanging skin, it doesn't seem to bother her and I don't feel anything hard. It just feels like a lot of skin. Her body type is still very lean (other than this area) and I have always fed her the same food.   

Do you have any idea what is causing this dramatic hanging belly skin?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 8 years ago.
That's a great question. I work with a breed of cat that also has the 'hanging belly skin'. This is a fat pad called the greater omentum and is extremely visable on many breeds of cats. With the ragdoll breed, you start seeing it anytime from the age of about 6 months to 2 years. Not all of them develop the greater omentum, but most do. It sounds like you have a cat with an obvious greater omentum like the ragdoll has. This is not a weight issue, so don't let anyone tell you that your girl is fat. This is just a structural part of your particular cat and nothing to be concerned about.
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience: 16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments