Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

can i give my cat who is 2 years old doxycycline for a ...

Customer Question

can i give my cat who is 2 years old doxycycline for a bacterial infection in his paw due to a bite from another cat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

Doxycycline can be used in cats and is often used to treat FIA and chlamydia. You would need to check with a pharmacist or your vet as to dosage. Dosage is based on weight, not age. Note that reconstituted (liquid) Dox is only good for about 2 weeks after mixing, so if this is something left over from an earlier treatment, it will not be effective if it's been mixed for over 3 weeks.

Hopefully this answers your question. For detailed specifications, a vet or pharmacist must make that decision. Also, this is probably not the drug of choice for a bite wound. There are others that would be more appropriate and effective.