Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments

Why does my cat sit and stare at the corner She also sits ...

Why does my cat sit and stare at the corner? She also sits and stares at the door. It almost looks like she is punishing herself by putting herself in the corner.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

Hi Denise--

Epilepsy sometimes manifests itself by people and animals appearing to be in a daze. In reality, they may be suffering from petite mal seizures that cause this state of staring into space. It could also be there is a cool draft from the air conditioner or fan that blows across the area and it feels good to her to sit in those spots. If this continues, and you can't find any reason for her to enjoy those particular spots, you should probably have her checked by your vet. As a side note, one of my girls used to sit for hours and stare at my oven. She wasn't "laying" - she was actually sitting - watching the oven. I FINALLY figured out (when I pulled out the bottom drawer to clean under the oven) there was a little field mouse living under there - as he shot out when I pulled out the drawer. She was patiently waiting to see if she could catch him once he came out! If there are small cracks under the front door, your kitty 'could' be watching for bugs or other intruders into your front door - as to why she would sit in the corner - that's a mystery and one of the reasons I think there may be some neurological reason for this behavior. Please let me know how things turn out!