Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

My cats upper canine teeth fell out. The first

Customer Question

My cat's upper canine teeth fell out. The first one healed perfectly. The second one fell out recently . The tooth looked decayed. I don't think that the root fell out with the tooth.What should I do now?

Her appetite is good. Sheis still having a little bit of difficulty eating, but she does finish up her food. I think it is still tender. She doesn't really let me look at her mouth. When I did get to it, there's a hole, but no redness. What can I do to help her heal? Also, what should I watch out for?

Thanks!
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.
Having her teeth falling out is worrisome. It's not normal, and dental problems in cats can migrate very quickly to the kidneys and cause problems there also. You really need to get her into the vet the first part of the week so they can clean her teeth and remove any that are diseased or decayed. They will also probably start her on an antibiotic to prevent infection or further problems from the dental issues. Until then, there really isn't a lot you can do for her. You could purchase a product called Rescue Remedy from the health food store that will help to keep her calm and relaxed. Do not give her aspirin for pain as this is toxic to cats. Good luck with your girl. She will thank you for taking care of this problem for her.