Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

how can i tell how close my cat is to giving birth and what ...

Customer Question

how can i tell how close my cat is to giving birth and what is the normal gestation period for kittens
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 10 years ago.
Do you know when your cat mated?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: we're not really sure but about a month and a half ago to 2 mo. we caught the neighbors cat pushing the basement screen in to get into the house we think he may be daddy.. she is getting pretty big but her breasts haven't filled up yet
Expert:  Terri replied 10 years ago.

Dear friend,

Cats carry between 58 - 65 days. Usually 24 hours before the blessed event, they will stop eating - so that is your best clue. About a week before - They begin "nesting" - looking for a good spot to give birth. This is usually going to be a closet or under a bed. It is best to prepare a cardboard box that is closed on all sdes except an opening you have cut - about 4 inches up so the babies do not fall out. Just leave it and she will go in on her own. Make sure you change the bedding every day because she will move her babies if it is not clean. Some cats move them any way.

Make sure you feed her extra food so she can make good milk.

Please let me know if you have any more questions. I will be more than happy to help.

Best of luck with your upcoming blessed event.

Warmest best wishes,

Terri

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: thank you so much your answer is very helpful guess i better go on a box hunt!!!...say , you wouldn't happen to want a kitten would you?! lol
Expert:  Terri replied 10 years ago.

LOL -I would LOVE one but I have two sixteen year old cats that would probably object.

Better get that box ASAP!

Please let me know when the blessed event occurs and how many little darlings there are.

Warmest best wishes,

Terri