Lori
Lori, Feline Healthcare
Experience:  16 yrs health care mgmt & issues relating to cats, reproductive issues and multicat environments
260309

cat: heavy breathing and acting lethargic - VERY unusual behaivor

Customer Question

My female cat is experiencing heavy breathing and acting lethargic - VERY unusual behaivor for her. My husband recently purchased a bouquet of lillies for me. Knowing the dangers of this flower to felines, the bouquet was placed far from her reach. However, I noticed upon returning home from work, that a few of the dying petals had fallen on the floor. I removed them promptly and tossed the flowers. I did not see her or any of my other cats around the petals nor did they seem disturbed.   She ate all of her dinner but I am obviously very concerned regardless. Are these symptoms or signs of poisoning?    Please advise ASAP

Cat Stone
Category: Cat
Expert:  Lori replied 10 years ago.

Hi Cat--

Yes, the symptoms you describe could be signs of posioning. Heavy breathing is also symptomatic of respiratory problems, or fluid in the pleural cavity. Please get your cat to the vet as soon as possible. Some poisonings don't act immediately, they take time to work through the system, so the faster treatment is given, the better the outcome. If she is acting "off", I would get her in immediately.