Traci
Traci, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Felines & Canines - behavior education consultant, veterinary technician nutritional counselor
1368825

My cat is having urine dripping out of him. I came ...

My cat is having urine dripping out of him. I came upstaires and saw a couple of current urine spots on the carpet, when I checked my cat is was meowing funny and then I notice urine dripping out of him. Any suggestions what this could be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Traci replied 8 years ago.
It sounds as if he might have what is called cystitis. He needs to be seen by a Veterinarian though for accurate diagnosis. If the urine is only dribbling out, however, he needs to see a Veterinarian immediately as it can be life threatening if left untreated. What happens is they form crystals in their urine which mixed with mucus (from the inflammation) will block the urethral opening causing all urine to stop flowing. If he stops urinating, he can become toxic and die. This is especially common in male cats.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Traci's Post: What kind of treatment is used for this?
Expert:  Traci replied 8 years ago.
Usually,if the doctor feels that he has become blocked, they will insert what is called a tomcat catheter into the urethra. From there, they will flush the bladder in an attempt to dislodge any formations and dilute the urine. Sometimes, they will also use an anti-inflammatory when they flush to alleviate some of the inflammation caused. At the same time they usually start him on regimen of antibiotics if needed. Once They may also have him on fluids if they note he is dehydrated at all.

If he is just starting to become blocked, some will use an antibiotic therapy and depending on what the urinalysis tells them, a special diet.

Time is of the essence, when dealing with urinary issues in male cats. The odd meowing is probably his pain meow. It is a pretty painful thing.
Expert:  Traci replied 8 years ago.
Here's a really good article on what could possibly be happening.

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/resources/brochure/urinary.html
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Traci's Post: Do you have any idea if this is an expensive procedure? Single mom times are tough.
Expert:  Traci replied 8 years ago.
It is expensive if he becomes blocked. However, there may be vets in your area who can offer payment plans or offer a product called carecredit (kind of like a credit card for your pets) - also, if you have a credit card, most credit card companies are willing to extend more credit if your payments have been made relatively on time in emergency situations such as this. We've had clients do this. At this point, even an initial exam is better than nothing at all - and then do what you are able to afford.
Traci, Certified Veterinary Technician
Experience: Felines & Canines - behavior education consultant, veterinary technician nutritional counselor