Michele McMurray
Michele McMurray, Rescue & Cat owner
Experience:  35 years of cats - have seen it all at one time or another, current work also includes rescue, rehab

My cat is acting tired, lifeless, hiding under bed and not ...

My cat is acting tired, lifeless, hiding under bed and not interested in even her favorite can of tuna as a treat! Basically her behavior has been unusual and she has always been a cat of habit and rituals that do not change. I am very concerned. What shoul I do?
Any time you see drastic behavior changes in your pet that seem to have no apparent reason it is time to see you vet. I would suggest that if you have access to an emergency vet clinic I would get her there right away. If you do not have access to an emergency vet let me know and I will try to reach a vet I know to see what can be done but he will more than likely tell me she needs to be seen.

I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michele Conrade's Post: She (my cat "chena") does not seem to be ill in any other way, is there a possible other reason for her to act like this for example she is an indoor cat yet she goes out on payio and is a hunter and seems to like to eat lizards could this be a reaction to eating something that woul maybe make her sick? Or is there any other symptoms that I should look for that could be a more urgent reason to take her to an animal ER my funds are very limited if you think it is this urgent I really need to know for sure or could I wait a day or so? Please give me your best and honest answer!
Please check a couple of things for me .... look at her eyes, do they seem dialated at all, are they open and wide or do they look norml? check her breathing, is she raspy, or is her breathing shallow? is she drooling?

answer these for me so I can get a better idea please
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michele Conrade's Post: Her eyes look good and she seems to be normal. Her breathing seems ok. I just got her out from under the bed and put her on the patio with the door open into house and she is still on patio with her sister puddy so could it be just a few moody days possibly? Do cats get depressed so to speak because if she were human this is what seems to be the problem. I am going to accept your answer this is the first time I have used this,I just wanted to give you a little more info. Also I have been sleeping on the sofa alot and she is used to sleeping on the bed with me I was wondering could she be upset with this? And could this cause her to act like this?
Your pets can and do suffer from depression from time to time. Any number of things can cause this from the loss of a playmate to a disturbance in their regular patterns. If she is a set in her patterns as you have described then the change of you sleeping on the couch could very well have upset her. There are a couple of things I would suggest. First and formost ... keep a very close eye on her for the next few days to make sure she is eating and drinking. The los of appetite worries me a little but may not be too serious if it is short-lived. You absolutely need to make sure she stays hydrated. Dehydration can lead to very serious problems very quickly. If you see that she is not drinking the way she should be there are a couple of options. The first is to make her a sort of home-made kitty chicken soup which is nothing more than chicken broth with a pinch of both salt and sugar served luke warm. if she will not drink it out of a bowl you can give it to her with an eye dropper. if you don't have the energy this late at night to make the "chicken soup" you can give her unflavored childrens Pedialyte with an eye dropper. Either one should be given about 1/2 to 1 ounce each hour until she will take it on her own.

The next thingis to try and go back to your normal schedule as much as you can, even if it is just laying on the bed to sleep instead of the couch. Make it a point to include her at those times so that she sees that even though things are different they do not have to upset or worry her. Any extra attention you can give her will help settle her nerves and start to get her back to normal.

And last, but certainly not least, if you see any other symptoms or her symptoms worsen, call you vet. The depression may be a smaller symptom of a larger problem. As long as she is eating and drinking I would let the depression run its course, which could be anywhere from a few days to a few months. But should she stop eating and drinking completely she needs to see your vet.

Please let me know how she is doing in the morning. I'll be on here off and on most off tonight and most of the day tomorrow.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michele Conrade's Post: Hi Michele
I just wanted to let you know that I took Chena to the ER vet clinic the next day she was terribly dehydrated. I had given her pedialyte with a dropper the night we talked but she was very weak the next day and felt hot! She had some kind of cat virus that is going around in the west/north central Florida area! (Just to let u know) Her temp was 105 degrees at the vet. As of today 5/22 she is much better starting to eat a bit and was getting up and around!!! Just wanted to thank you and I will keep you in mind again if I need you !!!

I am so very pleased that she is doing well. If you need anything at all please let me know.