michele, veterinary assistant
Experience:  15 yr work experience, 20 year pet owner, rescue work

why does my cat keep one eye closed

my cat keeps one eye closed for sometimes up to a week at a timeas if its bothering her. What could it be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  michele replied 10 years ago.
How old is she?

Does she rub at the eye?

Does she have any discharge fromt the eye?
If so, what does it look like?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to michele's Post: She doesn't rub at it and occasionally there is a clear almost tear-like discharge, but not all the time. She will just keep one eye closed as if its bothering her but the other open like normal. I tried to open her lid to look at it and she had her eye rolled up to toward her head.
Expert:  michele replied 10 years ago.
It is very possible that your cat is infected with herpes virus which can causeinflammation in the eye, drainage, and squinting. What happens during this time is the virus invades the surface of the eye leaving it open to bacterial infections.
She should be seen by the vet to make sure that no damage has been done to her cornea. There are anti-herpetic medications such as idoxuridine which can be used in the eyes, but, you can only get that with a prescription from your vet. Something to try in the meantime until you can get her seen (ideally by an ophthalmologist)is an amino acid called lysine. For a full grown cat, the usual dose is 250mg per day. You can buy the tablets in the drug store and sprinkle it on the food.
If the condition progresses or worsens, it can lead to an ulcer on her cornea which can become very serious. Other medications used in conjunction with the idoxuridine are terramycin(which you may be able to get at some pet stores or pet catalogs without a prescription, as I did see it available without one in a local Petsmart), and oral doxycycline.
Please try to get her treatment as soon as you can. Let me know if you need more help.