michele
michele, veterinary assistant
Experience:  15 yr work experience, 20 year pet owner, rescue work
966694

How much Benadryl to administer for 9 lb. cat with ...

How much Benadryl to administer for 9 lb. cat with allergies (sneezing-watery eyes)
Category: Cat
Expert:  michele replied 10 years ago.
How long have these symptoms been present for?

Sneezing and watery eyes in a cat usually indicate a respiratory infection.

How old is your cat?
Is she still eating and drinking and active?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to michele's Post: The cat is eight years old and this (allergy) comes and goes. He may sneeze for a couple of days and then it stops. ie; not a permanent condition. He is eating and drinking normally and otherwise fine. I have two cats and they are not allowed outside the house.
Expert:  michele replied 10 years ago.
Benadryl can cause your cat to become sleepy. You can go to www.petplace.com
On the lower left-hand side you will see the words drug library. Click on it then type in the word benadryl. There you will find the dosing information and precautions. If a range is listed, use the lower end of the range until you are aware of how your pet will respond to the medication. You will probably have to use the pediatric liquid for a pet that weighs 9lbs. It is very bitter to a cat and can cause them to foam and drool.
You may want to ask your vet about using chlortrimeton (4mg tablets)for this condition instead of benadryl. We usually dose at 1/8 to 1/4 tablet daily. But you should check with your vet before trying this. Best of luck to you and let me know if I can help you further.