Cheryl K.
Cheryl K., shelter volunteer
Experience:  14+ years of shelter work/ vaccinations/ disease/ illness/ injury/ medical care

when my cat shakes his head he loses his balance. he likes ...

Customer Question

when my cat shakes his head he loses his balance. he likes to walk and rub on everything but lately he loses his balance when rubbing. he still eats and drinks the same, but dosnt want to move much (not that active as usual)
                                         &nbs p;        jill
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cheryl K. replied 10 years ago.
If he is shaking his head and losing balance these can be signs of an ear infection. I would recommend that you take a look at his ears for any redness as this can be associated with an outer ear infection. If you do not see any redness but he seems to favor his ear it could be associated with an inner infection. If there is an black specs or dirt looking areas in the ears this can be a sign of ear mites for which you can treat him with some ear mite solution you can get at most all local pet stores. You would need to put 10 drops in each ear every other day until the symptoms have ceased. But if the ears do not look dirty or have specs in them it is most likely due to infection and he would need to have antibiotic therapy.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Cheryl K.'s Post: i called the vet and ask him for antibiatics for an inner ear infection. its been 4 days and still when touching or rubbing on his ears he shakes his head and falls. just waiting till monday them taking him to the vet.

Yes if it has been four days and he is still having a hard time with the head shaking and balance then it would be best to have him seen for an evaluation. This could be the result of a neurological disorder if the antibiotics have not helped and he is having problems with his balance. This can be known as feline vestibular disorder so it would be good for you to take a look at his eyes and see if he is showing any abnormal eye movements as well as this can also be a sign of this type of neurological disorder. It also may be that he needs a stronger antibiotic or that this is related to mites so if you see any black specks in his ears that can be a sign of mites and that causes head shaking as well but not usually a problem with balance. With the balance problem you are seeing it sounds more like a vestibular problem to me. Here is a good link that will explain more about this disorder.