michele
michele, veterinary assistant
Experience:  15 yr work experience, 20 year pet owner, rescue work
966694

There are large brown spots in our cats left eye. What are they

The spots are on both sides of the cornea in the eyeball itself. Not on the surface. I don't think they affect vision.
Category: Cat
Expert:  michele replied 8 years ago.
How long have they been there?
How old is your cat?
The cornea is the surface of the eye. Are they on the iris(colored part of the eye?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to michele's Post: The spots have been growing larger over the last year. Today they seem rather suddenly much larger.

He is four years old.

The spots are in what would be the white of his eye. In his case that would be the green of his eye. The sclera? They do not touch the cornea or iris.
Expert:  michele replied 8 years ago.
O.K. I assume that you are saying the spots are on the colored part of his eye, but not raised or bumpy looking on the surface of the eye. If a cat has green eyes (like a human would have blue or brown, the spots are on the colored part)...
At least this is what I am understanding this to be. Assuming that this is the casewhat you are describing could be known as "freckels" or nevi which are pigmented lesions. Nevi can appear to be raised. These lesions can grow, usually slowly over time and can be a pre-cursor to malignant changes. You should have your cat evaluated by an ophthalmologist, especially if the spots are getting larger. Best of luck to you and your cat. Schedule an appointment as soon as you can.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to michele's Post: I didn't tell you that the 'spots' are large and brown. They appear to be deep in the eyeball. they are not on the surface. The cat's eyes are green and the spots are in the green eyeball.
The spots are not where a human eye would be blue or green. They are in the eyeball which in a human would be white. Does that change your diagnosis?
Expert:  michele replied 8 years ago.
I am very confused. The spots are within the colored part of your cat's eye? By the way, large and brown is in the opening of your question
Expert:  michele replied 8 years ago.
Let's forget the human eye for now. Try to describe it only in relation to the cat's eye.
There is the white of the eye(which most of the time you do not see)
The colored part of the eye
The pupil
The cornea (surface of the eye) for example, if you put a drop of medication in your pet's eye, it would land on the cornea.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to michele's Post: ( x () x )

The x's mark the brown spots. The pupil is in the center.
Expert:  michele replied 8 years ago.
On either side of the pupil is the iris(the colored part of the eye) If the spots are under the surface of the colored part of the eye, I say nevi/freckle. Sorry for all of this confusion.
michele, veterinary assistant
Experience: 15 yr work experience, 20 year pet owner, rescue work