Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.

my cat is gasping for air...she is having a real hard time ...

my cat is gasping for air...she is having a real hard time to breath she has not ate for two days now because of her need to gasp for air. she is about 17years old and I am have never brought her to the vet. her whole life,she is an indoor cat. when I put my ear up to her chest is sounds congested. what can I do to help her????? she is throwing up white flem.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
Do you have any
salt
sugar
canned cat food
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: yes i have all three what do i do with that
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
Your cat is dehydrated and congested. First, run your shower on hot and make a steamroom. Take her in for 20 minutes to break up her congestion.
If she is breathing better you can first warm some water - add a pinch of salt and sugar and give her one dropper every 10 minutes for an hour. Then water down the canned cat food to a gruel and give her one dropper evey 20 minutes for an hour.
VERY IMPORTANT:
If she still cannot catch her breath after the steamroom - you MUST get her to an ER vet because if she is breathing in and you try to give her something by mouth - she can aspirate it into her lungs and die. So you CANNOT try to feed or water her unless she calms down.And is breathing normally.
Please wite back and let me know what is going on with her and how she is when she comes out of the steamy room.
I will stand by and wait to hear from you.
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
Waht is goin on with your cat?
Did you take her in the steamroom?
Is she breathing any better?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: I should have told you that she has been rhaspy for months, but this gasping for air just happened tuesday. I just tried the steam under a towel with water boiled in the microwave. and her breathing did not change I have kept her calm. we also tried the sugar and salt in warm water she attempted to drink it but, that was not sucessful. she does not look the same. I just do not know of anything I can do more to get her out of this pain I have been cring over this because i can not seem to help her. and I can not get to an ER till morning it is 11:04pm est and they do not open till 8:00am. I just do not know what more they (er) can do for her at her age. it is going to be a costly visit, that I do not know if they will beable to help. she does not have much life ahead of her. I am scard for her. is there any other advise that you can give? thank you for your support in this you were helpful. I will check back with you in the morning. thanks again
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
Try to water down the canned cat food with warm water to a very thin gruel and just give her one teaspoon every 15 minutes for two hours. Then let her rest fo two hours - then do it again.
I know what you are going through. My 16 year old cat has been very ill and it is a real struggle to keep him going. But we try our best for our furry children.
Let me know how she is doing.
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
How is your cat?
Did you feed her any gruel last night?
Are you going to the vet first thing this morning?
Please let me know.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: I have to go to work today but I will be returning tonight and I will see if she has gotten any better I have left food and water for her and he is comfortable, I will give you an update this evening
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
Is there any way you could drop her off at the vets on your way to work and pick her up when you return?
She really should be seen by a vet.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: I CALLED THE VETS WHEN I GOT INTO WORK AND THEY HAD A OPENING AT 11AM AND I PICKED HER UP AND DROPED HER OFF. THEY TOLD ME DO TO HER AGE AND CONDITION THAT I CAN HAVE HER TESTED OR I CAN PUT HER DOWN. I COULD NOT DO THAT TO HER SO I TOLD THEM TO TEST HER. THEY TOOK XRAYS AND SAID THAT HER LUNGS DID NOT LOOK TO BAD AND HER BLOOD WORK SHOWED THAT HER WHITE BLOOD CELL COUNT WAS LITTLE HIGH AND THAT SHE DID SHOW SIGNS OF INFECTIONS. BUT, THE XRAY SHOWED THE REASON FOR THE BREATHING PROBLEM WAS BECAUSE HER TRACHEA SHOW TO BE REAL SMALL AND THEY DO NOT KNOW WHY, SO SHE IS STAYING AT THE VETS TILL TUESDAY WERE WE WILL BE GONE THIS WEEKEND SHE IS IN GOOD HANDS AND I WILL BE CALLING THEM TOMORROW TO SHE HOW SHE IS AND HOW SHE DID ON THE TREATMENT THAT THEY ARE GIVING HER.
I WANT TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND COMFORT. WHEN I HEAR MORE I WILL LET YOU KNOW. I REALLY MISS HER BUT SHE IS BEING TAKEN CARE OF, THAT IS WHAT KEEPS MY HEAD HIGH RIGHT NOW I HOPE THAT SHE PULLS THROUGH WITH THE MEDS.
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
I am so glad that you took her in. An infection can be cured with antibiotics so she has a good chance. Just because a pet is elderly doesn't mean you should think that nothing can be done.
My 16 year old cat was very sick and we pulled him through.
I will be praying for your cat with all my heart and soul.
Please keep my updated on her condition and best of luck,
Terri