Michele McMurray
Michele McMurray, Rescue & Cat owner
Experience:  35 years of cats - have seen it all at one time or another, current work also includes rescue, rehab

can a cat choke to death on a hairball or get it ...

Customer Question

can a cat choke to death on a hairball or get it caught in it's throat?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Michele McMurray replied 10 years ago.
Yes, cats can choke on a hairball. While it is a very rare occassion that a cat would die from it, hairballs can cause you kitty a lot of discomfort if they can not expel it. I am sending several links to explain the basics of hairballs and their management. For our house we use diet as a preventive measure. I feed my cats Purina One Advanced Hairball Formula. It has helped tremendously with them.

This last site is the website for Purina One.

I hope this helps.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michele Conrade's Post: Thanks so much. My cat gets up in the morning and drinks his water really fast then he throws up. I noticed recently that he looked like he was still trying to get something else up. I took him to the vet yesterday and they gave him two syringes full of laxatone but he did it again this morning. after he trows up he just keeps swallowing and opening and closing his mouth. I'm not sure if I should wait another day to make sure the laxatone is working or take him back to the vet
Honestly ... if he were mine I would be making another trip back to the vet. Of course, I'm a worry-wart when it comes to my critters. I've had terrific results with the Purina One. I hope it helps your furbabie too.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michele Conrade's Post: Thanks. I'm a worry wart too. I will give him until tomorrow and if he does it again I will take him back. In the mean time, I give him some more laxitone. I'm thinking it may just be big enough that it needs time to break down. Hopefully it will come out the other end. Like I said he only does it in the morning. I don't get it. He's my first kitty and he is sickly to begin with. He takes a heart pill and a thyroid pill twice a day and a water pill once a week but I love him dearly. Thank you so much for your help
You are very welcome .... if you need any more help just come back tothis question and post it. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days. If you wouldn't mind, could you let me know how he is doing?
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Reply to Michele Conrade's Post: He seems to be doing better. He hasn't thrown up for 2 days. I am keeping a close eye on him though. He is eating well. Now I just have to worry about the occassional premature ventricular contractions the vet found on his ekg. He didn't notice them two weeks ago when they did his blood work. I don't think something like this just shows up. they increased his heart meds to 1/2 a tablet in the morning from 1/4 and he has to take 1/4 of a baby asprin twice a week. I guess it could be worse. He might not have wandered under my porch 3 years ago. I'm hoping he will live a good long life but I am giving him the best of everything either way. Thanks again for your help

I think if it were me I would still switch his food to a hairball formula just to be on the safe side. I'm so glad he's doing better. If I can help with anything else, please don't hesitate.