NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

what are some signs a cat will go into labor soon

My cat is pregnant, and I don't know when gestation occured. She is an outdoor cat, and when I put her into the garage for safty, I was supprised to find that she hasn't tried to get out, in fact she just lays around on the blankets I put down for her. She is buldging out at both sides and being very loving. I am just trying to approximate when she will go into labor. I would like to know symptoms of how she will look and act before labor.
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
If her sides are bulging out and she looks kind of basketball shape you will probably see a sign of shape change in her when she is ready to deliver - they change to a more football shape as the babies line up for the birth canal.
She may nest and try to snuggle into a small area (a plastic bin with a hole cut in the side or a cardboard box with either lined with papers and soft material might work). You may see her pant and she might vomit when labor pains hit. She may do a lot of panting.
You can read more about queening (cat birthing) here
http://www.sniksnak.com/cathealth/breeding.html
and here
http://www.waterloowest.com/articles/breedingcats.html
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
After my cat's mid section goes from a basketball shape to a football shape, how long is it typically until she delivers? Before reading the responce that indicated that there will be a change in her shape, I had gotten home from work to find that she did not appear as big as she did the past couple of days. It kinda scared me. Could this be due to her changing shape, or is there a chance she is expieriencing a false pregnancy
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Its very likely its due to her changing shape to have her kittens.
Do you have any new arrivals as yet?