Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat has a scabs on both sides of her mouth where the ...

My cat has a scabs on both sides of her mouth where the upper and lower lips come together. It is red at times and it comes and goes. We had her on cortazone and it made her listless and thought it might be a reaction to the drug. So we tried a antibiotic and it did not seem to do anything. do you have any suggestions on what it might be. Could it be alergic reaction to something...Food...Household items....????
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,
It sounds like your cat has been exposed to the Herpes virus. You can read about it here:
www.thensome.com/felineherpes.htm
The best way to treat this is with the human amino acid L Lysine. You can order Enisyl-F an Llysine paste from :
www.bullwrinkle.com or www.PetVetDirect.com You can also put Llysine in her water. Once a cat has herpes, the virus will lay dormant in her system and activate in times of stress.
Another less likely possibility is feline acne, you can see that here:
www.fabcats.org/acneandstudtail.html
Please let me know what you think of the sites.
If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I will be more than happy to help.
Warmest wishes,
Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience: Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Terri Riba's Post: Hi Terri
Thank you for your fast response...Could there be anything else that it could be...We adopted our two cats about five months ago so don't know much history. We did take them to our Vet and had the shots updated and a complete blood workup done. The cat in question "Shadow" did have the sneeses and a slight cough when we got her home but our Vet took care of that...Then she came down with this rash like thing on the side of her lip. First one side then the other side now. She does have a little acne on her chin a few little bumps but not bad...This thing really has me stumped...Would a blood test show hrepes? What should I ask my Vet to do to find out if she has herpes?
Expert:  Terri replied 8 years ago.
Dear XXXXX,
It sounds like the classic symptoms of Herpes.Cats are often exposed to the virus as tiny kittens.
If you read the info on the website you will see that Herpes remains in the cats system for life, but symptoms only appear in times of stress. Additionally, it can only show these symptoms on a cat with a weakened immune system. So the other cat can actually be a carrier and never in her life have an outbreak.
The best treatment is the human amino acid Llysine which you can put in her water or buy in a paste and feed directly to her. It it a good idea the treat the other cat as well.
Here is another herpes site:
www.vetinfo.com/cherpes.html
Talk to your vet about this as sometimes we will treat the upper respiratory symptoms with antibiotics to prevent secondary infections.
Let me know if you need any more information about this.
Warmest best wishes,
Terri