Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

My cat was diagnosed with a ruptured eardrum and ear ...

Customer Question

My cat was diagnosed with a ruptured eardrum and ear infection that caused ataxia. What can cause a ruptured eardrum in cats and what are the most common ear infections? What are the treatments? Does the ruptured eardrum need to be surgically repaired? What are the dangers of spread of the infection to the brain?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Ruptured eardrums can be caused by trauma and ear infections. Since you know that she has an ear infection, this is most likely the cause. The problem is that infections can be bacterial or fungal and there are different treatments for each. The ear drum does not usually need surgical repair. There is a small danger of infection that spreads but I would not be overly concerned. I would be more worried about vestibular disease which can produce stroke-like symptoms in your pet.

Let me know if you still have questions.