Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

My cats pupils are different sizes, one is

My cat's pupils are different sizes, one is normal size based on light conditions but the other is huge and doesnt seem to respond to brighter light (or if it does it doesnt move much at all). There is no leakage or anything form her eyes, is this a sign of something serious?
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

It does not respond to light at all? If not, there might be an underlying eye issue like a detatched retina. Eye issues can also become prominent when there is a kidney or liver disease so please do take this seriously.

I would go ahead and see the vet for an ocular exam to find out exactly what's going on.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
She was just into the vet before Christmas, she had fast breathing, lack of eating, was very inactive, and lost alot of weight.

They kept her for three days. They force fed her and did alot of tests but couldnt figure out what was wrong with her. In the end they told us that sometime cats just fall into a malaise and die.

I would hope that a kidney or liver disease would have shown up on the blood tests.

She is still very thin. I think they weighed her at like 6-8 pounds. She doesnt seem to be in any pain, and isnt avoiding areas with bright lights or anything like that. My parents are uncomfortable with the idea of taking her back to the vet, she didnt like it very (understatment) and it was expensive, but I'll recomend it for the eye exam. Thank you!!!

Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

The problem with her not eating is that cats can get what's called a fatty liver or hepatic lipidosis when they don't eat. This means that the liver thinks it's starving and it starts to grab fat cells. This ends up killing the liver.

So, you could be seeing the symptoms of a fatty liver, which can come on quickly. If you had the bloodwork before Christmas, you definitely need to return to the vet as soon as you can for repeat geriatric bloodwork.