Dr. Vicky Lamb
Dr. Vicky Lamb, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years small animal veterinarian

Why is my cats belly hanging loosly from her body

Customer Question

My cat has a loose belly. It looks like the skin is hanging low off the body. It does not seem to hurt her when I touch it but when she jumps down from stuff she sort of softly whimpers and has since i got her months ago from the SPCA.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Vicky Lamb replied 10 years ago.
Most cats, even some very slim ones, will have a fat pad on the underside of the belly, between the hind legs. Spayed females, especially if they are overweight, will have large pads in this area. It can hang quite low. This is normal, but if your cat is overweight, you should consider putting her on a light diet.

Many cats will make noises when they jump down, so I can't tell you if this is normal or not for your cat. If there is no limping or trouble walking, I would suspect this noise is normal.