Tonya Clauss
Tonya Clauss, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary assistant for 7 years, now a veterinarian for 3 years
461964

How does a female cat act when it is in heat What do they ...

How does a female cat act when it is in heat? What do they do when it's time for them to have kittens? Do female cats spray?

Optional Information:
Age: <1; Female; Breed: cat

Already Tried:
nothing the cat is a stray

Category: Cat
Expert:  Tonya Clauss replied 10 years ago.

The generalized answer to your questions are this:

Female cats can be very vocal when in heat. They are prone to rub their "bottom" (vulva) on anything they can. They will often actively seek out a male cat. Many will crouch down in the front end while sticking their tail end up in the air. They may become much more "lovable" or affectionate.

Cats are induced ovulators (no ovulation until penetration occurs), so it is in their nature to seek out a male for breeding to make this occur. If a female is not bred or ovulated when initially in heat, they may go out of heat and come back in every 2 to 3 weeks.

If a cat is pregnant, how she acts when time to birth can depend on the cat. Most like to be secluded where the kittens will be safe, so don't be shocked if kitty disappears for days. I've also seen cats that are used to people seek out a place that "their human" really like for birthing, ie. a favorite chair, bed linens, a closet.

Yes, female cats can spray, though it is much less common than in males. They may shake their tail and do little steps back and forth with their hind paws.

I hope that this has answered your questions. If you have any others, please let me know. If your new found friend is in heat currently, keep her isolated and have her spayed at the first sign that she's not in heat any longer. If you let her outside, she will find a male. Even if she does get out and finds a male, still have her spayed as soon as possible!!!

Thank you.
Customer: replied 10 years ago.

thank you your answer has helped me except how long does the heat last
Hi again,

A female cat's estrus or heat cycle can last from a couple of days up to 2 or 3 weeks. The average cat, if not bred by a male or ovulated artificially, will stay in heat approximately 10 days, but again, this can vary.

If the cat is bred or spayed, this will interrupt the estrus cycle and the "signs" will go away in a matter of a day or two. Spaying a cat in the middle of estrus can pose a slightly greater risk since the blood vessels are more engorged, but it can be done.

I hope this information helped. If you are happy with my assistance, please remember to accept my answer. Let me know if I can be of any further help.

Thank you.