Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

why does my cat drag her butt on the carpet

Customer Question

yes, this is my question - why does my cat drag her butt on the carpet? We do not know if she is constipated or what. She seems to use the litter box daily, however, sometimes I hear her straining when she is in the box.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Cats have anal glands that are located at 10 and 2 beneath the tail (like a clock). These glands secrete an oily, smelly substance and it is expelled every time that the cat poops. This is normal. The only time it's a problem is when the glands become inflamed, infected or otherwise impacted. You can tell when this happens because the cat will lick his bottom, drag it on the floor or try some other way to express the glands and get some relief.

Your vet or groomer can express the glands for you and solve the problem.

Let me know if you still have questions about this.