NancyH
NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
127115

what kind of biting insects can cats carry other than fleas

Customer Question

since i got my cat about 9 months ago, i have been bothered with bites but i never see anything. recently my son has complained about bites or sores that he does not know where they came from. neither of us have ever been bothered with anything like this before. I have been told by one person the bites are from springtail but i am unsure now as it never seems to go away completely.

Optional Information:
Age: <1; Male; Breed: DSH?

Already Tried:
flea powder/ collar.

Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Could be mites. Easiest way to find out about possible parasites is to have the vet check for them. Or you could try using frontline from the vet to see if that solves the problem.
Also you might try using Zodiac Fleatrol spray with precor as if its fleas they spend most of their time off the cat and lay eggs in carpets and cracks in the floor etc that the spray will take care of.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I just had the cat in to be neutered and he was checked out a couple weeks before for everything i thought. this problem hasa cost me well over $750.00 in meds to rid myself and others in the house of what was first diagnosed as scabies then collumbola. the cat is an idiot and i would hate to get rid of him.   if it is mites, how might the cat act? by that i mean would he act like something is biting him?
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
The cat should act itchy too if its mites.
But if it is fleas the flea collars and powders are nearly useless. Frontline and the Zodiac spray I mentioned have good track records on working well.
And is it possible the spots on you and others are a reaction to cat saliva? does the cat lick you or rub on you or lie on you where the spots are? Body contact will allow mites to 'rub off' onto human skin where they don't live long but do drive you crazy.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
the cat somoetimes scratches around his neck where the collar is and his ears he also likes to snuggle alot. he doesn't lick much
i have been ate up by "something"   so bad that my dad said it looked like i had been shot with a machine gun. it was terrible.
this spray you mentioned, is it over the counter? i will make a trip to the all night wal-mart tonight and try it if so.

Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
Oh yes its over teh counter - but don't travel call them and make someone check to see if its in stock instead - much easier!
Most of the pet supply places carry it.
The vets carry a product by the same company only its labelled Vet Chem and costs more.
It lasts about 200 or so days in controlling fleas.
Look in the cat's ears to see if there is any dark brown stuff could be ear mites. For that you'd need meds from the vet to do the best jobn of getting rid of them.
But if you suspected fleas at any point I'd guess they are in the house not just on the cat and that could be the problem.
Experience: 30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
thanks for your time
Expert:  NancyH replied 8 years ago.
you are welcome thanks for the accept!