Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

My cats pink nose has turned brown in a few places,

My cat's pink nose has turned brown in a few places, and those places are rough to the touch. What can I do?

Optional Information:
Age: 10; Male; Breed: ordinary..."Heinz"

Already Tried:
I've opened a vitamin E capsule and put a small amount on his nose. I've repeated this for 3 days.

Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Cat's noses will peel much like people's skin does, although it takes much more severe sun, wind and rain to make it happen.

There is a product called "bag balm" that's a moisturizer. You can get it at wal mart. It works great for cat noses and for the bottoms of the feet.

If there are wounds or mucousy/goopy areas on the nose, you can clean the nose with peroxide or betadine and then apply some neosporin ointment. If this does not help, you will want to see the vet for an antibiotic.

Aside from that, thyroid conditions can cause unknown nose and foot problems so you will want to have your vet run a thyroid panel to rule this out. Some people have to go so far as to tattoo the nose to promote healing.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 10 years ago.
Thank you for your response. My cat is an "indoor" animal, so I don't think it's too much sun. Also, his nose has been extremely dry since this condition was first noticed.

Does this info inpire a further reply?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 10 years ago.

Since it has just turned cool and you have probably just started using heat, he might just be a little dry. I would try the moisturizer that I mentioned and see the vet if you don't see improvement.

I hope this helps more!