Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert

My cat is acting strange today. She is twitching her head ...

My cat is acting strange today. She is twitching her head to one side and her eyes are very dreary, especially her right eye. She is very quiet and has retreated to the closet. She also seems to be a bit disoriented and she normally would playfully bite my hand when I pet her, but not even that would she do today. What could be wrong with her?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
When you say twitching, do you mean leaning? Do they eyes look like they are watching a tennis match?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: How do I describe this? Her head goes to the right side with a jerking motion as if she is shaking off something. Her eyes look sleepy. Her right eye has that white layer that you see when she is partially asleep.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
It sounds like you are seeing the third eyelid. The third eyelid can be visible for one of three reasons:

• the cat has suffered a trauma to the eye
  • the cat has an eye infection
  • the cat has parasites

I suggest that you see the vet for a fecal exam to rule out parasites. If this is negative, your cat may need antibiotics to treat any eye infections that are present.

The vet might also want to stain the eye to look for a corneal scratch that might be the culprit.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Tammy,

What are the symptoms if the cat has come in contact with a frog?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
Some frogs have toxins in the skin which protect them from danger. They usually cause drooling, vomiting and sometimes neurological symptoms (falling, inability to concentrate, etc).
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
She is not vomiting or drooling, but she does seem to be weak and disoriented a bit. Is the toxin fatal?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
Not typically. But it can cause some severe symptoms. Based on what you are seeing, I would go ahead and give the vet a call and get his opinion.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Would it be ok to wait until tomorrow to get the vet?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
...and what if she has parasites? What would happen then?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
If she has parasites, the vet just needs to do a fecal float and tell you what kind. Then they can give you an appropriate medication to treat it. It's not very expensive for either one.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Have you ever heard of Necrotizing granulomatous steatitis?
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.
Yes. I have. Why do you ask?
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Because Missy (my cat) was spayed by the vet on April 28, 2005 and after that all the trouble started. The stitches didn't heal very well and started to look infected so I took her back to the vet. After looking at it he said it was infected and full of puss which he squeezed and actually reopened the cut and restitched. After that I took her home and she still would not heal well. He took a specimen and sent to the lab which they diagnosed as the condition I mentioned above. I have spent so much money trying to make this cat well, but she still has a moderate sized lump on her stomach where the incision was made. The specialist I was referred to quoted a price anywhere from $1,800 to $2,000 to fix which would required taking skin from the flap of her hind leg to reclose the opening once the growth was removed. I really don't know what to do or where to turn now.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 8 years ago.

That is a rare diagnosis and you are lucky that your vet caught it.

I am sorry that you are going through this.

You might want to look into www.carecredit.com if finances are troublesome for you. They offer financing for large and small vet bills with easy terms.