NancyH, Cat Health, Behavior, Care Expert
Experience:  30+ years cat owner, rescue, breeding, study of behavior & health care

Cats Symptoms Sneezing and Lump on Forehead

my cat has been sneezing, for a couple of weeks--I thought because maybe he had hair in his nose, because I have been brushing him a lot. (so I stopped for a couple of day). Now today, I see a large lump on his forehead just above his eyes. I will take him to the vet on Monday - but for now, any ideas? PS - He is 14 yrs old, and does not act like anything is wrong - still eats, still active, jumps on stuff, etc.
Category: Cat
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
He may have a bad tooth that has abcessed up into his nasal area and now even be forming that lump up higher. The teeth don't hurt too much once the abcess has a place to go.
It could also be a tumor. Ear polyps can even protrude down into nasal passages causing blockages and sneezing.
See if using a hot/warm damp towel on the area helps bring it to a head so it can drain. An abcess will open and drain eventually but a tumor probably won't.
Hope this helps you!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Nancy Holmes's Post: Thanks - the search engines (when I typed in the symptoms kept coming up with lymphoma and cancers) - so at least I know that it might not necessarily be something that's life threatening. Would it puff up that fast? My son was looking at his "eyebrows" yesterday and noticed they were broken off (they almost always are, because he bumps his head up against you - it's a love thing). Anyway, he says it wasn't there - or at least not noticable yesterday. I will try the towel. Hope that helps make me feel better at least!
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
Yes if its an infection or abcess from an infection they can blow up very rapidly as the body tries to handle it and the infection grows.
You do want to see the vet because infection near the brain is a risky thing if that is what it is.