Dr Andrea
Dr Andrea, Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinary practice for 18yrs, owner of 10+ cats, cat rescue, cat showing

Customer Question

I have a 9-year old male Himalayan cat that is strictly indoors. In the last couple of months I noticed a large lump, almost like a cyst/pimple develop on his nose between his eyes. He acts normal but I wonder if it's harmful to him? It seems like it's gotten a little bigger. Is this something I should be worried about or does anyone know if cats gets these cyst-like lumps ever?
thanks, Ursula
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Andrea replied 11 years ago.
Cats can get cysts in their skin, however they can also get skin tumors. Some common tumors are basal cell, mast cell, fibrosarcoma and squamous cell, with basal cell tumors most common. Basal cell and mast cell tumors are most commonly found on the head. The only way to know what it is would be to have your vet look at it, probably have it removed and sent for biopsy. Many are benign, especially if slow growing and removal is curative.
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thanks for your answer. I will have to take my cat to the vet. It's just that I get nervous to go to my vet as everytime the costs are so outlandish, what with a long list of proposed tests, etc. that I get very depressed since I can't afford much at all. Makes me feel like I'm not a good pet owner!:)

Oh, another thought..I forgot to mention and just remembered tonight another little detail about my cat's nose that might be pertinent. Before this bump emerged, one day he had a drop of blood on top of his fur in that area. I wonder if he got in an innocent play scuffle with my other cat? If that happened, is it possible that there was a puncture that triggered this lump or inflammation?
thanks again, Lori
If there was a puncture there that started it, it probably would have formed an abscess, drained and healed by now. Is the bump hairless? Pink or dark? Soft or firm? Has it ever drained? Seems attached to skull or only in the skin? Does he scratch at it?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Andrea J Cecur DVM's Post: Hi again Andrea,
It does seem like a puncture wound would have followed that course of drainage, etc. Yes, the bump is in fact hairless, it is kind of a strong pink shade, not vicious red or anything. It is firm to the touch and my cat never seems to mess with it whatsoever. I've gingerly pressed on it to see if he has pain but he doesn't seem to be bothered by that (other than the usual indignation cats show when you toy with them:).
Someone had once mentioned that they've heard this can happen as a result of a sting from an insect possibly but they were going by dog experiences.hmm
thanks!, Lori
Here is an excert from an article about skin tumors in cats:
BCTs are usually solitary, well circumscribed, firm, hairless, dome-shaped elevated masses from 0.5 to 10 cm in diameter. Most BCTs are freely movable and firmly fixed to the overlying skin but rarely invade underlying fascia. These tumors are most commonly located on the head, neck, and shoulders in both the dog and cat. Feline BCTs can be pigmented, cystic, or solid, and are occasionally ulcerated and have a surprisingly high mitotic rate for tumors that are benign. Most BCTs are benign, grow slowly, and may be present for months prior to diagnosis. The treatment of choice for BCTs is surgical excision, which carries a good prognosis. In 124 cases of BCTs in cats treated by surgical excision, none recurred nor metastasized.
Max's House
Tumors of the Skin & Subcutaneous Tissues
Does his bump kind of fit that description?