Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

cat: i feed has white across both eyes..white conjunctiva..treated

Customer Question

the feral cat i feed has white across both eyes..white conjunctiva that covers one third the colored part of the eye..what is this ans how can it be treated?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

It sounds like you are seeing the third eyelid. The third eyelid will present iself when there has been a trauma to the eye or the dog has conjunctivis. You will also see it if the dog is suffering from allergies. Parasites can even cause it.

You can flush the eye with warm saline to remove any debris that might be the cause. If this does not help, you will need to see the vet for an exam and possible antibiotics.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: you mentioned dog, but this is a feral cat..i see the white in both eyes..and the cat keeps licking her butt alot..the white part is sorta the lower eyelid persay..it comes up and covers about one third of each eye..there is no reddening or swelling..or pus seen..what can i give her if this cat is feral and wild? thanks
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
TAmmy, email me [email protected]
thanks i have to go to bed..this isCustomer.thanks
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

I meant cat. Sorry. I have answered so many question tonight that I lost track.

My post was for a cat. It does sound like you are seeing the third eyelid. In feral cats, the first thing that we treat is a parasite problem. This is step one. Since you can't catch her, you need to start with the easiest thing to treat. I suggest that you worm her with a medication like drontal or droncit that you can get from your vet. Hide the pill in food and be sure that SHE eats it. Then re-evaluate it in a couple of days. If this fails to work, you will need to catch the cat in a trap. I can tell you more about that if you get to that point.

I manage several colonies so I know what you are going through.

And sorry about my mix up with the dog/cat thing. I hope you understand.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
I can't email you outside of the site. It's against site policy but your post will be here tomorrow when you wake up. Promise!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
HI Tammy i am new to this web site, so bear with me..I will read your post now
thanks [email protected] (Customer)
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
Great! Let me know if you have any more questions!
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
thanks ..hope i can give her the worm pill if she is nursing her kittens~will double check with vet