Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

kitten: sneezing alot and her one eye is watering..her nose is runny

Customer Question

I got a kitten from the local animal shelter 2 weeks ago. Well, for the ast 3 days she has been sneezing alot and her one eye is watering. Today I noticed her nose is runny too. What could it be?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
Most cats that come from shelters will end up with cold like symptoms which just means that you they have contracted a virus that has affected their respiratory system. It's highly contagious and almost all cats adopted from shelters will suffer from it, no matter how clean or well kept the shelter may be.

Many times, it will get better on its own. Other times, it requires antibiotics.

If he is acting ok and eating well, I would wait a few days and see how he does, as long as the secretions from the eyes and nose are clear. If the gunk from the eyes and nose is yellow or green, you need to see the vet right away for antibiotics.

If he starts to get worse or if the congestion gets worse, I would make a vet visit.

And congratulations on your new family member! Thanks for saving a life.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Thanks so much for the advice! I will definately do that. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX worried.
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.
No problem! Glad that I could help! Don't forget to accept an answer if my response was helpful to you.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: Anyone else?
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I would like to consider others opinions. Please help
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I'm an idiot... It was me replying
Expert:  NancyH replied 11 years ago.
You might want to read about upper respiratory diseases here
www.marvistavet.com/html/feline_upper_respiratory.html

I'm in agreement with Tammy that this is probably the problem.

You can rinse eyes and nose with sterile saline solution. If the kitten stops eating try warming the food to make it more aromatic so that the kitten can smell it.