DogGoneCafe5
DogGoneCafe5,
205633

Why did my cat die

Customer Question

Yesterday I found my cat with his eye popped out of its socket and a broken jaw. I immediately took him to the vet. The vet took x-rays after he sedated him. he had no broken bones (other than the jaw) and no internal injuries so he gave him some shots (antibiotic, a disinflammatory and atropine- for what I don't know) and put saline on his eyes (one had popped out and the other had some ulcerations on it.) He had to prop his mouth open becuse the lining inside his mouth was very swollen and was blocking his airway. he told me to come back in 1 hour that he was going to suture his eye and put a wire in a figure 8 shape for his jaw. When I returned to pick him up he had died. I was so shocked he made everything seem as if he would be fine and I would be able to take him home that same night. First he said he died from cardiac arrest then he said he died from respiratory arrest after he did the procedures and was coming out from the anesthesia. Doesn;t this all sound like he made very critical errors. Like perhaps he should have waited to do the procedures when the swelling inside his mouth went down? This was a perfectly healthy 2 year old cat. This has been a roller coaster ride for me. Not knowing how he got these injuries to begin with, why the vet made it seem like he would be fine, then his unexpected death as well as the different answers from the vet.
Category: Cat
Expert:  DogGoneCafe5 replied 11 years ago.
My deepest sympathies on the loss of such a young cat. There is never just one answer on what happened, or what could have been done better to save the life of an beloved pet.

The trauma you have been through is going to raise more questions than there are answer for, and regardless of the questions asked, the outcome is still the same. The loss of your beloved pet.

I would make an appointment to talk to your vet about this incident, so you can put your mind at ease.It is never easy to lose a pet, especially when it is so traumatic.

I am sure your vet is someone you trust, and there could have been other complications that he wasn't aware of until he started helping your pet.

Since you don't know what happened to cause these injuries, there could have been some internal injuries that took your pets life.

I know you are devastated and the best thing you can do is talk to your vet to discuss what might have happened.