Tammy F.
Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience:  Not an active Expert
2456257

how do i know my cat is ready to give birth

Customer Question

My cats got out.being in heat.they were gone for a week.well they came home one a few days later then the first one.anyway they are both pregnant.im thinking sometime in the middle of may they got out.
i dont have a clue so i wanted to know if there are sighns for me to watch for to see if they are getting ready to give birth.one of the cats has been leaking a little bit of blood.they are very small breed cats.they are sealpoint simese they are small cats.so they look huge.and i can feel the kittens move inside. and the one that has lost some blood.cant seem to stay in one spot for more then 5min.
and is there anything i can do to help them be more comfortable?
thank you
michelle polston
Category: Cat
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Unfortunately, there is not much that you can do to help them. Cats don't usually need a lot of help. Just be sure to give them a safe place to have their kittens and let nature do the rest.

The one that is leaking blood worries me a little. I wonder if she may have had the kittens somewhere and hidden them and now you are seeing the post delivery bleeding.

Gestation for a cat is 65 days so try to count back from the day that they were outside until now.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Reply to Tammy Falkner's Post: I thank you for getting back to me.but you really never answered me if there were sighns to look for to let me know they are ready to give birth. and the one that is leaking blood. i feel the kittens inside her. so i know she has not given birth yet .it is a kinda brown.red discharge bloody kinda looking..not alot.its just where she sits at and leaves it behind where she was sitting.
thank you
michelle polston
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

When she is ready to give birth, she will "nest" or prepare a place to have the kittens. She may get a little cranky or aggressive. If you squeeze her breast, you might get milk or a clear discharge from the nipple.

The bleeding really concerns me. If she does not have them soon, you really need to see the vet.

Tammy F., Not an active Expert
Experience: Not an active Expert
Customer: replied 11 years ago.
Thank you so much Tammy.
that was what i needed to know.about what to look for .when it was time.and yes if somthing dont happen with them this week i will take her in.
i did count the days and came up with about 53days they would be pregnant.
thanks again
michelle polston
Expert:  Tammy F. replied 11 years ago.

Cats are pregnant for 65 days, if that helps any.

Don't forget to accept an answer if my responses were helpful to you. If not, feel free to ask more specific questions.